Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Participating in history

After class today, Aziza, one of the particularly inquisitive students called me over to her desk. She was holding a printed out copy of Obama’s presidential inaugural address and was attempting to read it. Clearly most of the vocabulary was far above her current level, but it was evident that she was doggedly plowing through it, as many sentences were underlined and notes were written in Somali in the margins. She asked me to define inaugural and a few other related terms, and then proudly told me she wanted to read the speech for herself, since she didn’t catch all of the words when she watched it on television yesterday. The image of her working so diligently to understand the declarations of our new president really made me appreciate the respect she has for her new country. While not abandoning her own culture and language, Aziza strives to be engaged and informed to positively contribute to her community. I’ve had that same experience with most of the students I’ve worked with, which I think contradicts many stereotypes people have about immigrants and refugees.

No comments:

Post a Comment