Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Challenging English

Although my students have a base vocabulary and comprehension level that is higher than the very beginning students, I find myself unable to explain something coherently at least once every time I go. Adults ask extremely engaging and thoughtful questions and are generally quick to speak up when they don’t understand something.

I also teach Spanish classes to native English speakers at Fridley Community Education Center, and whereas I get to tell them that Spanish is a phonetic language, I’m constantly reminded that the same is not true for English. Today Aziza was very hung up on the difference between “no” and “know,” as she was trying to hear the difference in pronunciation. After assuring her that there wasn’t any, she looked at me and asked why we would have the same word sound exactly the same. I had no answer for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment